Web Content Management
who should attend
the fine print
* new mindset, new medium (more than a data repository, you're in the publishing game)
* how to set up collaborative teams
* CMS (advantages and disadvantages)
* cool tools for easy site updates
* project management (a hassle-free development process)
* know your audience (business and user requirements gathering)
* strategic planning (site purpose, business objectives, return on investment, maintenance)
* setting content, design, technical and functional specs
* getting buy-in for the project (from management and content contributors)
* streamlining publishing process
* creating compelling content (using new media to make boring info interesting)
* information architecture made easy (site structure, labelling, navigation)
* best practice layout and design
* usability and accessibility essentials
* promotion ideas (including search engines and directories)
* measuring success
* real-world tips, tales, resources and examples from Australasia's award-winning online content queen, Yvette Nielsen
* honest, no-fluff, nitty-gritty knowledge gained through almost a decade of hard-won experience in the real world
* fast, fun and friendly
* much more than regurgitated rules and glib guidelines freely available elsewhere - beware shallow imitations
* the skills, confidence and knowhow to critically assess and manage your site
* practical tips and real-world advice, anecdotes and examples from Australia's original web content specialist
* follow-up coaching, consulting or other workshops as needed (Australian based for reduced costs)
The morning session, beginning at 9.30am, covers best practice with online examples to illustrate key points.
We break for morning tea about 11am and lunch at 1pm before resuming about 1.45pm for the practical afternoon session.
You can pair up or go solo for hands-on surfing to critique other participants' sites (or a site supplied by your instructor if you prefer). The exercise ensures you understand best practice and provides you with valuable feedback from objective audience.
We wrap up around 4.30pm.
All participants who successfully complete the course will gain a certificate of achievement from brizcomm, the benchmark for online content in Australasia.
Ideally, participants should follow up their training with Yvette's one-day companion workshop, Online Writing and Editing.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Anyone planning, creating or updating a web site will benefit from the workshop.
You do not need any prior technical knowledge - the emphasis is on information rather than IT (you will not learn HTML code or how to use a web-authoring package - plenty of courses cover that).
All jargon is explained and questions and open discussion are encouraged.
The workshop will particularly benefit web and intranet managers, web editors and writers, information architects, project managers, communication managers, marketers, IT managers, graphic designers.
Participants come from a wide range of professions, from nurses to CEOs, in government, small business, corporate management, PR, marketing, advertising, sales, IT&T, creative fields, education, journalism and administration.
The workshop can also be delivered in-house - customised to your needs and hosted at your premises or another venue. Benefits include team building, reduced travel costs, less time away from work, and personalised content.
Independent new media journalist Yvette Nielsen speaks from hands-on experience as a content coach, consultant and award-winning writer and sub-editor.
Her own e-newsletter and web site - brizcomm.com.au - won the national Smart Communities category in the 2002 Asia Pacific ICT Awards.
Yvette pioneered specialist web writing training in Australia, has written a web site review column since 1997 and was ABC Radio Queensland's weekly radio "cyber scribe" from 2001 to 2003.
She spent 11 years as a print journalist on Australian and Fleet Street newspapers and magazines before seeing the light of the modem.
After leaving the print-publishing world in 1995, Yvette worked as a freelance writer, editor, marketer, university tutor and lecturer before specialising in online content - planning, structuring, gathering, writing, editing and promoting compelling reader-focused information.
Yvette provides writing and editing coaching, training and brainstorming workshops, content strategies, information architecture, writing/editing, and site and e-newsletter critiques for government and business.
Her long list of clients includes BBC New Media (London), ABC, AAP, ANTA, CSIRO, Westpac, BHP, John Deere, ATO, ABS, AIM, Sun Microsystems, Mincom and Qantas, along with many universities and government departments.
Yvette's international guest-speaking gigs include the BBC's New Media Editorial Conference in London (May 2002), Internet Content West in Los Angeles (June 2001), and Asia Business Forums in Seoul and Singapore (2000, 2001).
She was web writer on a project that won the Australian Financial Review/Telstra Internet Award for Best Software in 1997.
Yvette has a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in Journalism and Government) from the University of Queensland and did a year of a Masters research degree in online communication in 2000 before being invited to embark on her PhD through Queensland University of Technology.
She has a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training along with extensive experience as a university lecturer and tutor.
Yvette was one of a select group on the Asia Pacific ICT Awards Panel of Experts (Australia) and an Expert Panel member (Content) for the International ICT Awards. Yvette has been a judge for the Australian Schools Web Challenge and the Asia-Pacific Queensland IT&T Awards.
See her client list and background.
THE FINE PRINT
Cancellations require seven working days' notice for refund. Substitutions are permitted.
Invoices must be paid within seven working days of date of invoice. Cheques should be made payable to Brizcomm Pty Ltd or via direct deposit (details on invoice).
Contact me on 041 771 8683 now to book a workshop or read comments from participants.
* My guarantee - Response from several hundred participants since 1996 has been overwhelmingly positive. If you do not feel you have gained value for money after the workshop, brizcomm pty ltd will refund your fee in full.